Tax Calendar

Being aware of property tax deadlines is extremely important in ensuring your appeals are filed and your taxes are paid on a timely basis.  Below is a calendar outlining the important dates in the Texas tax year as well as some guidelines for filing.  Should you have a question regarding something that’s not listed here, please contact us today!

Valuation Date:
January 1 of each year

The date on which the market value of taxable property is determined.

Rendition Date:
April 15 of each year

Owner’s submission of its opinion of value.

Valuation Notices:
Generally, sent around April 15

The date Appraisal Districts mail proposed value notices. Notices are not required for properties that do not increase by $1,000.

Appeal Date:
Later of May 15 or 30 days after notice of value is mailed

The last date on which a formal appeal may be filed for a hearing before the Appraisal Review Board. After filing and prior to the ARB hearing, tax representatives may still negotiate with the appraisal district in an attempt to reconcile their differences of value. Most of the time, an agreement will be reached.

Roll Certification:
July 20

The date the Appraisal Review Board must approve appraisal records. The majority of ARB hearings have concluded.

Lawsuit Date:
60 days after receipt of Appraisal Review Board’s determination of value

Last date tax payer may file a lawsuit in district court appealing the value determined by the ARB. Less than 1% of lawsuits go to court. The remaining 99% are settled with the appraisal district beforehand.

Second Appeal Date:
January 31 of the following year

For those properties for which a value has not been agreed upon or set by the Appraisal Review Board and it can be proven that the market value is less than 75% of the appraised value. However, taxes must be paid by the delinquency date and a 10% penalty will be assessed for that year only.

Date Tax Bills Mailed:
October 1 (or soon after)

Date Tax Assessor mails tax bills for the year.

Delinquency Date:
January 31 of the following year

The last date for payment of taxes without the assessment of interest and penalties is January 31 following the year in which the value is established. The combined interest and penalty rate on February 1 is 7% of the taxes owed. Additional interest and penalties of 2% per month will accrue until July 1 when they are decreased to 1% and attorney's fees of 20% are assessed.

Scroll to Top